Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Motivation

Time to ease my mind again.

I've done nothing for so long, that the concepts of motivation and stress, allude me. Anxiety? Yes. Stress? No.

Somehow, the closer I move to adulthood, the more it seems like life gets increasingly depressing and disappointing. It's not easy to get excited by little things anymore, and you can't go skydiving to tickle your senses everyday.

I suppose that's evolution's way of making us more efficient. Unless we're consciously trying to be present, our brain automatically ignores everything that's going right and focuses on everything that's going wrong, all the problems; so it can fix the problems and make our mental and physical environment safer for us. However, this means that if you aren't paying close attention, you're going to get really jaded, really soon.

With the internet now exposing us to so many ideas, so many people, so many places, all at once - it's no wonder depression rates are at an all time high. There's no need to cultivate delayed gratification when you can get what you want, or at least a virtual version of it, at the drop of a hat. And this in due course of time has lead us to a place where there is no gratification. There is only a sense of discontent and emptiness. Everybody is just struggling to find some meaning in their lives.

It's a cycle though. You only get stuff done by doing it. You can't sit around and wait to be motivated to do something. But you can start doing it, get emotionally invested in it eventually, and as a result, end up motivating yourself to do more.

It might be different for other people, but for me, knowing that I'm working towards something, that I'm building something that I can see myself get one step closer to, with each passing day - that adds meaning to my life, and makes it seem less dreary.

Guess I'm done procrastinating. I'll go do something now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment