Thursday, February 25, 2010

Masala Coke and Dosa!!

What's up with the title? That's what I had for breakfast/lunch today. I went to play a round of golf today, with my sister Picoult and her friend Bennett. Didn't play all that well, and met my coach after the game.
The club has always been like a second home to me. I've been going there since as long as I can remember. Golf runs in our blood. My grandfather was the president of The Delhi Golf Club twice and the captain, twice. Dad had played nationals and beat the British Amature Golf Tournament Winner, while he was holding the title. So that's pretty amazing.
I remember when I'd gone to visit my Grandmother, a couple of years back, I used to dream about playing golf. I would actually see this person swinging the club in slow motion, then the angle would change and it was as though i was lying on the ground and I'd watch as the club would come in contact with the ball, and it was cut through the lush green grass, and bright green blades would jump up, into the air as though they were rejoicing their union with the club. And I'd watch the ball go skyward, then suddenly I'd zoom in and I could see the ball spin, in slow motion as it made it's way across every obstacle, the ball was INVINCIBLE! Okay fine so maybe i made it sound a little more dramatic than necessary, but still. It's probably because I'm very passionate about my sport. Emotionally bound to it.
A couple of weeks ago, our English teacher asked us to write a small article about anything that we were passionate about.I was actually pretty excited about that one, but never ended up doing it.
All the kids in my class, well MOST of the kids in my class wrote something. To my surprise, we could actually tell the difference between someone who just wrote it for the heck of it and someone who actually wrote about something that they were passionate about. Weird, eh? Turns out, you don't even have to be a genius to figure it out. You can tell the difference just by the way the spoke.
Everyone has something they're passionate about. Whether it's music, or football, or art. It's their way of letting out whatever is inside them. They're way of showing what they feel. It's almost essential to be passionate about something, something that drives you. It's just upsetting when you put in so much effort, to perfect what you love doing, and eventually, if you decide to pursue it, as a career, more often than not, your parents object. That's really sad, because the way our society is built, people go into jobs that they don't even like, just because they get a heavy check at the end of the month, but it's pointless. You should do something you love, something you're good at. I hate the way that society is. It pressurises you in so ways that eventually, you have to live more than half of life by other people's rules. I mean come on! It's your life, you should have a say about how you want to live it! If you're doing your job just for the heck of it, doing the same thing, day after day after day, you are wasting your life. You're not growing. It's important to do something that you love doing, primarily because that way, you're not going through each day exactly the way you went through the day before. When you do something you genuinely love doing, you grow with each day, and you look forward to the next day, not knowing what it'll bring. And you don't have to wait till retirement to start enjoying life. Or maybe even the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment